Location: Quetta, Baluchistan
Duration: 37 working days
The Market Development Facility (MDF) – supported by the Australian Government and implemented by Palladium – is a multi-country facility that invests in innovative businesses to stimulate economic growth across the Asia Pacific region, with the aim to:
- Create additional employment and income earning opportunities for poor women and men through broad-based and sustainable pro-poor growth.
- Make rural and urban sectors of the economy, in which the poor are involved as producers and workers, more competitive and make them grow.
- Trigger lasting ‘systemic’ changes in the markets systems around these sectors to reduce constraints to growth and to increase their capacity to innovate and deal with competitive, regulatory, social and environmental pressures, so that the benefits for the poor will sustain and expand in time.
Methodology: To achieve these objectives, the consultant must go through the following steps:
- The consultant will meet MDF and AusABBA FAO representatives in Quetta to get an overall understanding and background of the Mulberry production in the region. A detailed work plan will be submitted by the consultant showing how and when he will identify and analyze the market demand, trader’s requirement, farmer’s practices, gaps in practices, recommend better drying practices and conduct trainings. The work plan will also contain the field activities, meetings with stakeholders, trainings and the deliverables.
- Meeting with traders in Quetta, and Karachi (large traders, importers and retailers) to understand the market demand and supply, constraints and opportunities.
- Meeting with research institutes and government agriculture department in Mastung and Quetta to understand the work being done in mulberry production and research on technical aspects in terms of introduction of any technology.
- Conduct an extensive scoping in Mastung to meet with farmers, local traders, FMC (Farmers Market Collectives), input dealers (if any) and understand current system around mulberry farming, logistics, packaging and credit needs. The consultant will identify the low cost technology as per farmers needs and affordability, and provides recommendation on better sun drying practices. With the help of FAO female master trainers, the consultant will also identify the roles of women in mulberry farming.
- The consultant will submit the first draft of feasibility report, and MDF and FAO will share their feedback on the report within 5 days.
- The consultant will submit a final report, which includes an in-depth analysis of mulberry value chain, market demand and supply gap, product and variety required by the local market, gaps in the production, cost benefit analysis of improving practices and adopting technology, farmer’s current practices, gaps and recommendation on the better sun drying practices.
- The consultant will conduct farmer trainings on the basis of findings and recommendation on better sun drying practices in Mastung. The consultant will also train FAOs female master trainers on sun drying practices to conduct training for the female farmers. Thus there will be 4 sessions for men and 2 sessions for women.
The consultant will work under the guidance of Muhammad Ibrahim Khilji (MDF) and Ahmed J. Essa (FAO). He/she will update the team on the progress of the assignment and will inform the MDF and FAO team immediately if contract deliverables as defined above cannot be met.
Education, Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
The successful candidate should demonstrate:
- A university degree in business administration, international business or equivalent and with 8-10 years of practical field experience.
- Working experience in Baluchistan, or in similar geographic region.
- Strong relevant experience in the market studies, preferably for food processing industries.
- Excellent knowledge of dried fruit markets and fruit processing industries.
- Excellent communication and writing skills and fluency in English.
Applications should include a response to the position requirements. Please submit your cover letter and CV as a single document. Any financial/ technical proposals will be requested separately. Apply here.
This Position is open to Pakistan Nationals and Permanent Residents with Authority to Live and work in Pakistan. For details, see here.
The Deadline for the applications for 22nd March 2018.