Reports to: Country Director
Classification: Locally-Engaged Staff position open to nationals of the country of assignment and permanent residents with authority to live and work in the country of assignment.
Duration: 12 months, with the possibility of extension
Location: Quetta, Balochistan.
The Market Development Facility (MDF) is an Australian Government-funded initiative currently being implemented in five countries. MDF utilises a market systems development (MSD) approach to connect with private and public sectors players with the ability and leverage to trigger lasting systemic change and create broad-based, sustainable pro-poor growth. MDF can be scaled-up to support further market development activities in country and in additional countries as needed.
MDF is a multi-country facility, currently operating in Fiji, Timor-Leste, Papua New Guinea, Sri Lanka and Pakistan.
The Research Associate based in Quetta, Balochistan helps the MDF Country Team to design, manage and monitor partnerships relevant to MDF’s strategic engagement areas and regional strategies. For this, the Research Associate, at the request of MDF Management, will meet (potential) partners, relevant stakeholders, and conduct field research, be present when development activities are carried out, monitor MDF supported investments and ensure activities are well managed and executed. The Research Associate works very closely with a team of Quality and Inclusion team to measure the effectiveness of MDF interventions and learn from the results generated, as well as with Communications Specialists to share MDF intelligence and engage relevant audience.
MDF will work closely with the Research Associate to build his/her understanding of private sector development and the MDF framework, its selected sectors and partnerships.
Following this orientation process, MDF together with the Reserach Associate, will develop a work plan. It is the Research Associate’s responsibility to ensure the tasks agreed to in the work plan are implemented properly and within the agreed timeframes. To ensure a certain degree of flexibility, the work plans will be monitored and reviewed on a weekly basis.
- Analyse (sectors) of the economy in a quantitative and qualitative manner, develop a ‘deep’ understanding of their functioning.
- Identify potential for pro-poor growth, constraints to growth and innovative solutions and opportunities to unlock this growth potential, making enterprises more competitive and creating job and income earning opportunities for the poor and underprivileged.
- Assist Business Adviser(s) to communicate with, negotiate with and develop partnerships with a large variety of strategic private and public players in these (potential) growth sectors to introduce innovation and unlock the pro-poor growth potential.
- Assist Business Adviser(s) in drafting justifications and partnership agreements.
- Assist Business Adviser(s) to contribute to communication products and engagement,influencing and learning events.
- Conduct monitoring and evaluate partnerships, in close coordination with Business Advisersand the Quality and Inclusion team.
- Travel extensively to develop a deep insight into the MDF partnerships, and at the request of the team in Country Office meet with various stakeholders, where necessary to ensure correct implementation of interventions.
- Keep MDF duly informed about the progress of its partnerships, at the request of the team assist in implementing partnerships and be present when critical activities take place, and be proactive about signaling potential problems and risks.
- Develop and implement weekly work plans under the instruction of the MDF team in Country Office.Key Performance Indicators:
KPIs set annually in agreement with the Country Director.Preferred
- Previous involvement with research projects.
- Understanding the issues affecting the private sector in Balochistan as well as international trends in business and the economy.
- Understanding the sectors, key stakeholders, and farming dynamics in the region.
- 2 to 3 years work experience is preferred, but fresh graduates can also apply. Women are encouraged to apply.For details, see TORs and apply here before 15th July’2018.