Market Development Facility is a multi-country initiative, funded by Australian Government and the New Zealand Government, which promotes sustainable economic development, through higher incomes for women and men, in our partner countries.
We connect individuals, businesses, governments, and NGOs with each other, and with markets at home and abroad. This enhances investment and coordination and allows partnerships to flourish, strengthening inclusive economic growth. It is implemented by Palladium in partnership with Swisscontact.
MDF is expanding its presence in the Pacific, to Tonga, Samoa, and Vanuatu. MDF Tonga is recruiting several Business Advisers. We are looking for candidates with a diverse range of skills. Some of the qualities we are seeking include:
· Business acumen
· Creativity and an eye for innovation
· Robust analytical skills
· Persuasive communication and negotiation skills
· Excellent English communication skills – verbal and written.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of our dynamic and dedicated team working to build a stronger, more resilient and equitable Tonga and the Pacific. The position is perfect for individuals that are looking to apply their investigative skills and gain hands-on experience in economic development in a thriving and supportive workplace.
The Business Adviser analyses economic opportunities and constraints to growth and develops innovative solutions with businesses and other organizations. The economic sectors in which you will work may change over time but are likely to include one or more of the following: agriculture, tourism, manufacturing, and financial services.
1. An entrepreneurial attitude, and a strong interest in working with the private sector on innovative business models.
2. Willingness to work hard and travel extensively within Tonga, meeting a diverse range of stakeholders, conducting research and monitoring activities.
3. Demonstrated interpersonal skills with both colleagues and external stakeholders.
4. Familiarity with issues affecting the Tongan economy, business environment and international business trends.
5. At least a bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline, such as economics, business, agriculture, tourism, or international development, or equivalent professional experience.
6. Excellent English language skills (written and spoken).
1. Work experience in economic development, business, or closely related fields.
2. The ability to speak and comprehend the Tongan language.
3. The ability to undertake short-term travel to Fiji and other MDF Pacific locations for capacity building (subject to travel and health restrictions).
The position is open to nationals of the country of assignment and permanent residents with authority to live and work in the country of assignment (Tonga). Rates of pay are based on local labour standards.
MDF is committed to creating creative and diverse workforce. In addition to competitive pay and benefits, we offer internal and external learning and professional development of staff.
Please send your CV and cover letter addressing outlining your skills and experience. Applications close midnight 09th February 2024 (Nuku’alofa time).